Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekend Update

On Saturday, I woke up early to take a train to Sheffield to visit my cousin Joshua. Josh is a graduate student, currently earning his PhD in Political Philosophy at the University of Sheffield. 

It was great to see how another university is run outside America. One of the major differences is that beer drinking is very much accepted in the college culture. In one of the university's student centers, there was an outside patio area called the "Beer Garden", where students went outside and ate food and drank beer, quite different to what I am used to back at Ithaca. But what made the experience even richer, was the great time I got to spend with Josh.

I don't get to see Josh much, but when I do we really make the most of it. The conversation, laughter, and our overall enjoyment we both share being around each other is really one of a kind. I strongly believe that my relationship with Josh is one of the strongest I have with anyone in my life, and I think the feeling is mutual from him. We toured the campus, and some of the city's more historical venues. We dined at a very nice French restaurant... twice. The food was so good the first time we had to go back for more. I gave him his last item of memorabilia from  Shea Stadium, a final season commemorative baseball and tin that had been in my room for the last 10 months. 

So, all in all the horrendously boring 5 hours I spent riding on the trains and tubes were completely overshadowed by the great 8 hours I spent in Sheffield. Hopefully, I convinced him to take a vacation to my turf in the near future. If you are reading this Josh, your family in America will be waiting for your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment